Re: st: comparing policies across countries: multilevel estimation?

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: comparing policies across countries: multilevel estimation?
Date   Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:36:21 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 16/12/10, Laura R. wrote:
> To be precise, with multilevel models I mean models that
> are based on individual data, but some individuals share
> some variables because they belong to the same kind of
> group. <snip> I thought maybe one has to treat them
> differently than the other variables, as this is what
> multilevel models do, as far as I have heard. As to the
> selection, I would like to estimate the selection into
> employment and then the wages.

You are describing the aim, not how you want to do it. With
this type of modeling the devil is in the detail. For now
I would forget about selection, and first focuss on
understanding the different forms of multilevel modeling
and their advantages and disadvantages. A nice place to
start would be: <>.
After that you can look if you still have time left to
look at selection in a multilevel context.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen