Re: st: suest after nl estimation

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: suest after nl estimation
Date   Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:12:20 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 16/12/10, Jan Hohberger wrote:
> I am estimating two nonlinear models with the -nl-
> command and would like to compare the results afterwards
> with -suest-. However, I get the error message
> "model_1 was estimated with a non-standard vce (gnr)".
> The sues-help states that the "estimators should be
> estimated without vce(robust) or vce(cluster clustvar)
> options". Since I am doing this I am not sure why I get the
> error.

I agree that the error message is somewhat confusing. What
appears to happen is that the default vce is -vce(gnr)-,
which is a non-standard vce. You can read what the defaults
are in -help nl-.

A more serious problem is that the -predict- function after
-nl- does not allow  the prediction of scores. This is a
requirement for -suest-, so that means you cannot use
-suest- after -nl-.

What you could do is rewrite your two problems as a maximum
likelihood problem, estimate them using -ml-, and than use

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen