Re: st: Converting a SAS datastep to Stata

Subject   Re: st: Converting a SAS datastep to Stata
Date   Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:10:05 -0500

Dan <[email protected]>:
Even if you take out the illegal commas, that does not do what you want:

clear
range flpdyr 1990 2000 11
scalar expr1=1
scalar expr2=2
gen sample = 1 if flpdyr >1993 & flpdyr < 1998
gen lvalue1 = expr1 if sample
gen lvalue2 = expr2 if sample
list

since any nonzero value is "true" including missing--but try:

clear
range flpdyr 1990 2000 11
scalar expr1=1
scalar expr2=2
loc sample "if flpdyr >1993 & flpdyr < 1998"
gen lvalue1 = expr1 `sample'
gen lvalue2 = expr2 `sample'
list

But in general, it's often better to step back from your SAS code and
rewrite it in native Stata-ese.
For example, there are several kinds of -if- in Stata, but it's
possible you need none of them...
depending on what you want to accomplish in all of those blocks.