st: How to creata a database for stata and country dummies

From   Léon Stam <>
Subject   st: How to creata a database for stata and country dummies
Date   Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:57:15 +0100

Dear all,

I try to keep it short. For my assignment I have the dependent variable value added and the independent variables R&D expenditure and  unit labor cost for 15 countries and 20 years.
I have to make a ordinary least square regression (OLS) with a country dummy variable.
Now I don't know exactly how to make my database and how to make a country dummy. Now I have the years on the vertical axes and on the horizontal axes R&D expenditure per country (R&D germany, R&D france etc), I did this also for the unit labor costs. Or is it easier to put all the R&D expenditure in one column and make another column for the country? Do I have to make the dummy variable in my database or can I use Stata for creating this?

Thanks in advance.