RE: st: Constrained linear regression... is not linear?

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   RE: st: Constrained linear regression... is not linear?
Date   Tue, 7 Dec 2010 18:49:14 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Tue, 7/12/10, kokootchke wrote:
> What does logit(.3) do and why are you doing that?

Type in Stata -help logit()-, it ensures that the parameter
to be estimated can range from -huge to +huge, while the
parameter of interest ranges between 0 and 1. This is also
explained in the FAQ I suggested earlier today.

> I don't understand what the nl command is doing with this
> value for the local variable i, and what the nlcom command
> is doing afterwards.

-nl- just estimates your parameters, while -nlcom- transforms
it to the metric you want.

> Maarten, I have read the information in the link you sent
> but I must say that it's beyond my programming capabilities.
> I'm not a complete ignorant when it comes to programming and
> I have programmed in C and Fortran before... so perhaps you
> could recommend a few links/books that could teach me how to
> do this sort of programming in Stata?

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie