RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata?

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata?
Date   Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:38:28 -0800

Thank you to all the responders on my query about saving older versions of
Stata. You all gave compelling reasons for keeping them!

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:29:07 +0000
From: Nick Cox <>
Subject: RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata?

I agree with Michael on the main point. Motives may vary -- I leave old
Statas in place to check on program behaviour in older versions -- but old
Statas don't do any harm.

In addition, setting -version #- is _not_ equivalent to using Stata #. There
is a surprising myth in circulation to the effect that -version- can act as
a time machine. It is surprising because the help for -version- explains
what -version- does, and it is distinctly limited.