RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata?

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: Uninstalling older versions of stata?
Date   Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:43:35 +0000

Allan's point 5 is really quite separate.

User-written files are not affected by official installations so long as you keep them in separate areas.

If he's also saying that he edits official Stata files, then that's up to him.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Allan Reese

"Michael N. Mitchell" <Michael.Norman.Mitchell@gmail.com> suggests
reasons not to uninstall previous versions of stata

   1) The older version appears to have no impact on the newer version.
   2) The older version does not take up much space.
   3) If something odd happens with my current version of Stata, I can
run the same
commands in the previous version and see if the behavior is the same in
the previous
version. (Some might say that version control would yield the same
result, but I don't
know if that is always the case.)
   4) I am lazy.
-----

To which I'll add
   5) The older version will include Do and ADO files downloaded (eg
from SSC) at various times or amended.  I've even been known to add
notes in HLP files!  After upgrading it may take me some time to recall
what has been added or amended, so best to keep all the old files just
in case.