st: When to use ML or bootrapping

From   Amy Dunbar <[email protected]>
Subject   st: When to use ML or bootrapping
Date   Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:56:36 +0000

Hello,

Although these questions are not directly Stata related, I hope someone will suggest sources to help me.  I want to know how one knows if you should consider ML or bootstrapping.

I read the preface to Maximum Likelihood Estimation with Stata, Fourth Edition, http://www.stata.com/bookstore/pdf/ml4-preface.pdf
I don't see a chapter on when ML is appropriate, unless that is covered in the practical implications discussion.

As for bootstrapping, Chapter 13 in Cameron and Trivedi helped me understand how to use bootstrapping, but not when I should consider using bootstrapping.

I apologize for my newbie questions, but I would really appreciate some intuition.

Amy

Amy Dunbar
University of Connecticut
School of Business