Re: st: Stata memory problems with 3GB RAM

Subject   Re: st: Stata memory problems with 3GB RAM
Date   Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:37:21 -0500

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Maarten buis <[email protected]> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 29/11/10, Beatrice Crozza wrote:
>> I have a problem with the memory allocation in Stata.
>>
>> My laptop has 3GB RAM. I set the virtual memory between
>> 500m and 3GB. I use WindowsXp.
>>
>> When I give the command to Stata:
>> set memory 800m
>> I receive the error message that there isn't enough memory.
>> Why Stata doesn't use the virtual memory?
>
> <http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html>

Given that this file is hosted on the StataCorp's web site, would it
be possible to extend the famous
"Think of Stata's data area as the area of a rectangle" message to
include a reference to the FAQ page
quoted by Neil and Maarten?

If for some reason it is inconvenient to modify the code, then perhaps
the help file for "set mem"?

Thank you, Sergiy