Re: st: more than double precision (higher than 16 digit)

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: more than double precision (higher than 16 digit)
Date   Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:41:08 -0500

At 07:27 PM 11/28/2010, Nicola wrote:
Hi,

I am having problems with precision for a numeric variable (it is an ID variable). I have been keeping it as a string variable as there are more than 16 digits (the maximum number of exact digits stored in double precision, which problem I also encountered in other softwares like Excel and SPSS).

However, I now want to do some computation with a user-written program in STATA that needs it to be stored as a number. Would be great if someone would help me with this.

Thanks!
Nicola

You may need to tell us more about the computation that you want to do.
But one possibility is to take the right 8 digits as one number and the remaining digits as another number.
HTH
--David