st: RE: Useful first stage statistics in IV with multiple endogenous regressors

Subject   st: RE: Useful first stage statistics in IV with multiple endogenous regressors
Date   Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:48:32 -0000

Nick,

This is tricky, and the answer depends on your application.

Are you interested in *both* your endogenous regressors?  Or is one of
them really the one you're interested in, and the other is just there as
a kind of control but isn't actually of any interest?

If so, then the Angrist-Pischke first-stage F stat for the endogenous
regressor of interest is what you should focus on.

The problem with the Cragg-Donald statistic in the >1 endog regressor
case is that it will indicate whether you have a weak IV problem, but
that could be because of one endog regressor or the other, or even both.
But if you are interested in *both* endogenous regressors, this is
useful for you.

BTW, don't report the "partial R2".  The A-P statistic effectively
replaces it.

Hope this helps.

--Mark

> Thanks very much,
> Nick
>
> --
> Nicholas J. Sanders, Ph.D.
> Postdoctoral Fellow
> Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research
> 366 Galvez St, Room 228
> Stanford, CA 94305

registered under charity number SC000278.