st: How can I test difference between groups?

From   Arzu Özsözgün <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: How can I test difference between groups?
Date   Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:56:13 +0200

Dear Stata user;

I'm trying to run a regression of company profit on many potential
determinants such as past sales, cash management decisions. I have a
large dataset of many companies. I created dummy variable for
different sectors using

egen g=group(state ind)
or

gen d1=sector==1
gen d2=sector==2
den d3=sector==3

My first question is which one of the commands are true to create
dummies for differenf sectors or could you give me some advise?

I would like to test the differences among the sectors so which
command or formula should I use for that?

Thanks for your help,
arzu