Re: st: do-file corruption?

Subject   Re: st: do-file corruption?
Date   Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:12:55 -0500

Need more info. Here are some approaches.

1. Who is guilty, Stata or Notepad++? Create a do-file in regular
Notepad. Back it up
(copy somewhere). Open in it in Stata, close, compare with the
original. Open in Notepad++,
close, compare with the original. Thus you will find whom to blame.

2) Try to find out what is triggering the problem?
a) Is it only do-files from Notepad++ or from any program that are
exhibiting the problem in Stata
(or conversely is it only do-files or any files that are exhibiting
the problem in Notepad++)?
b) If you are using unicode (non-ASCII) characters, try to avoid them
and see if the problem persists.
c) Eliminate the hardware failures (make sure your HDD is working properly).

3) Is the problem replicatable? On another computer, other versions of
software? Install all the updates
for Notepad++, Stata and your operating system. Report all versions.

4) If you can make do-files available for investigation, that could
help, e.g. someone can spot a
suspicious combination of bytes.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin