Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations

From   "M.P.J. van Zaal" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:09:40 +0100

I am still digesting all this new information..

The approach used by Kit seems to be familiar to an approach i used
earlier. My prof gave me the advice to include all the dummies in the
regression and then calculate the residual per occupation, since this is
what Bonin et all do.

However, you guys claim that the estimates from this procedure would be
meaningless. I will start over again and make regression per occupation
and then predict the residuals.

When I estimate the standard error of all these residuals I will
probably have 106 different "variables". How can I construct one
variable from all these standard deviations? This is the problem at
which I was stuck at my old approach, so i will probably have the
problem again when i use a new method.