st: Extract a letter between numbers

From   Patrick McNamara <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Extract a letter between numbers
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:07:47 -0500

I'm new to stata coding (been using drop-down menus for a few years),
and I'm working on an address parser to pull apart and put back
together people's real address apart from the mess they enter online
:) Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to take out any letters in
between two numbers that people have accidentally typed into their
house address field (i.e. for 123 Main St, they types 12e3 Main St).
The letters are not in the same position and there are multiples. I've
tried strpos() but it won't allow me to use a range [A-Z] or [0-9].
Any help would be greatly appreciated!