Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:58:11 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 22/11/10, M.P.J. van Zaal wrote:
> I am inclining to agree with mr Kolenikov, because the
> study i am (partly) replicating in my thesis does use OLS
> estimates.

As I just mentioned I am not against Stas' argument, but I
do not find the fact that there exists a publication that
also uses it a convincing argument: A lot of mistakes get
published and many get perpetuated using exactly this
argument.

> They do use robust standard errors in the Mincerian wage
> regression. In the second step (regression of standard
> deviations on individual characteristics) they use robust
> errors en clustering. Does robust errors and clustering
> indicate that I should use mr Buis his method or can I
> still stick with OLS?

If you use -regress- in this context you must use robust
standard errors. So, the fact that the authors used
robust standard errors does not help you with the choice
between models. As I mentioned before the main difference
is in the style of the argument that you want to make.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie