Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations

From   "M.P.J. van Zaal" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Constructing a variable from standard deviations
Date   Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:54:03 +0100

Hi mr. Buis,

Thanks for your help.

However I have a question:

You state that the residual variance is assumed to be constant. This
is actually not the case. I have 106 different residual stand
deviations. I achieved this by using "predict "nameocc"
if "dummyoccupation"==1, resid"  to predict the residuals. Now I have
106 different residuals, and when i check tabstat their standard
deviations are quite different (varying from 0.18-0.8). The paper i am
trying to replicate reports a similar range of standard deviations.

I would like to have a variable with 106 "observations" (the standard
deviations) so I would like to know how to save these different
standard deviations in one variable.

Do you think I can construct a variable directly from these standard
deviations using this method?

Many thanks!