st: Heckman model and endogeneity

From   ASIF REZA ANIK <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Heckman model and endogeneity
Date   Fri, 19 Nov 2010 23:46:50 +0100

Hi All,

I want to do a heckman model. The problem is that I assume one of my
independent variable has endogeneity problem.

The model is as follows:

y=f(x1, x2, x3)

if my selection criteria is s, the syntax for stata will be :

heckman y x1 x2 x3, (select=s x1 x2 x3)

But if I assume x3 has endogeneity problem, then what should I do. Is
it okay if I do the followings:

regress x3 x1 x2 x4 x5 ..................(x4 and x5 are instruments)
predict y*
and in the final model I replace x3 by y*, and the syntax is:

heckman y x1 x2 y*, (select=s x1 x2 y*)

Is anybody kind enough to tell me whether I am correct or not? I am
new in the issues of Heckman model and endogeneity. So confused.
Looking for your expert opinions.

regards

Anik

--