RE: st: log file lines numbers - can they be created/inserted

From   "Ben Hoen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: log file lines numbers - can they be created/inserted
Date   Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:34:45 -0500

Thanks Guys!

Nick, what, pray-tell, is the "smart" text editor you use?  (Mine - Notepad
- is evidently as dumb as a doornail.)

Ben

=============
Nefarious negative needs negation: You must be careful to inhibit macro
substitution.

Nick Cox

Interesting question. Absent any option for this in -log- that I can see, an
evident alternative is to do it after the fact.

In my own favourite text editor, there is an easy way to show line numbers,
and probably a way to add line numbers, and what one smart text editor can
do, another can.

Alternatively, this quick and dirty utility passed precisely one test:

*! 0.0.1 NJC 18 Nov 2010
program lineno
	version 11.0
	syntax anything(name=file) , saving(str) [ replace ]

	if "`replace'" == "" {
		confirm new file `"`saving'"'
	}

	tempname hi ho
	file open `hi' using `"`file'"', r
	file open `ho' using `"`saving'"', w `replace'
	file read `hi' line
	local i = 1

	while r(eof) == 0 {
		file write `ho' "`i' " `"`macval(line)'"' _n
		file read `hi' line
		local ++i
	}

	file close `ho'
end

Perhaps 11.0 can be decreased; meaning, I didn't test this in Stata 10 or
lower.

The code points up one tricky point: in just copying lines, you must be
careful not to inhibit macro substitution.

Ben Hoen
LBNL
Office: 845-758-1896
Cell: 718-812-7589