st: winexec on Stata for Linux

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: winexec on Stata for Linux
Date   Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:56:23 +0100

Hi all,

. sysuse auto
. sc weight mpg
. graph export foo.eps, replace

With Stata for Linux, I can type

. winexec xdg-open foo.eps

into Stata's command window to view the file "foo.eps". However, if the
filename contains a blank,

. copy "foo.eps"  "fo o.eps"

-winexec- seem to be not able to open the file. I tried:

. winexec xdg-open fo o.eps
. winexec xdg-open "fo o.eps"
. winexec xdg-open fo\ o.eps
. winexec xdg-open 'fo o.eps'

but non of these produced any output at all (i.e. no error messages, no
messages from the shell, nor any window popping up; just the Stata
prompt.). On the other hand each of the following commands open the
file:

. shell xdg-open "fo o.eps"
. shell xdg-open fo\ o.eps
. shell xdg-open 'fo o.eps'

However, because I don't want Stata to wait until I close the
eps-viewer, I would like to use "winexec" to open the file. (xshell
behave like winexec)

So here's my question: How can I open an eps-file with a filename
containing blanks in the background?

Information about my system is shown below my signature

Many regards
Uli

Stata executable
    folder:               /usr/local/stata11/
    name of file:         xstata-mp
    currently installed:  04 Nov 2010
    latest available:     04 Nov 2010

Ado-file updates
    folder:               /usr/local/stata11/ado/updates/
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  10 Nov 2010
    latest available:     10 Nov 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx, with Gnome 2.30.2