st: graphs - applying different symbols to different groups within one var

From   Angela Fearon <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: graphs - applying different symbols to different groups within one var
Date   Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:18:46 +1100

Dear statalist friends,
I have undertaken a canonical analysis of some variables, with a group

.candisc  sewaist sehip segt sebmi sew2h sew2gt std_elatact std_elsgt std_elgt std_eaiis, group(group4)

and then graphed this
. scoreplot, mlabel(group4) yline(0) xline(0)

the  var group4 is made up of people divided into four groups (surprisingly enough). I would like to be able to either colour each group of people, or provide them with different symbols, on the graph.  I have done this mannually, but think there must be some code or menu item that would allow me to automate this function - I have failed to find this information on the net,  in help, or in my graphing in stata book.

I would be really grateful for some advice

thank you,

angie

Angie Fearon
PhD candidate, ANU Medical School