RE: st: Dependent variable in a tobit model

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Dependent variable in a tobit model
Date   Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:13:13 +0000

Incidental detail: Austin's presentation never went anywhere near Microsoft PowerPoint. It was developed using LaTeX.

As I understand it, -tobit- ignores missings. Regardless of that, I am not clear why you would expect -tobit- to understand that (some or all of) your missings really mean zero, or how you expect -tobit- to interpret missings in any sense.

Estrella Gomez

The thing is that I am comparing estimation methods to stduy the
properties of each of these methods, that's why I am interested in
estimating a Tobit model, as well as Poisson and others. But I am not
sure if Stata automatically drops out the observations of the
dependent variable that are missings (those are the observations that
are zeros in the original variable in levels) and hence, I should
specify instead an equation with the dependent variable in levels
instead of logs. Is that correct?

Thank you very much for your advices and your ppt. Could I ask you
which is the command to plot the graphic in which you compare the
estimators?

Austin Nichols