st: Demeaning of variables in multiregression models interpretation of constant and interaction terms (

From   "Catharina Klepsch" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Demeaning of variables in multiregression models interpretation of constant and interaction terms (
Date   Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:24:31 +0100

Dear Stata users

I have a question concerning the following regression:

y = a+ b1x + b2D + b3C + b4(xD) + b5(CD)

D is a time dummy taking the value of one from a certain period of time
onwards
C = Countrydummy
X and C are each interacted with the Timedummy.

If I demean all x variables, the coefficients on a, b3 and b4 are very
logical. If I do the same regression without demeaning the variables, a, b3
and b4 have partly confusing signs.
Can anyone tell me why this is the case? I am not quite sure which one I
shall take.

For any help I am very grateful.

Best regards
C.K.