Re: st: Question about Baseline Hazard in Parametric Hazard Models

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Question about Baseline Hazard in Parametric Hazard Models
Date   Tue, 9 Nov 2010 17:51:35 -0500

Very nice, Paul! This use of -stsplit- to fit a parametric hazard model is a neat trick that I hadn't seen before. One component of the log-likelihood for a parametric model is the integral of the hazard h(t). When h(t) is a polynomial in t of degree>2, the integral has no closed form (as far as I know). After -stsplit-, the log-likelihood for -streg- is numerical approximation to that integral. It works fairly well for this example, with just two failure free intervals of 5 months and one of 6 months. The approximation might be better with more splits, especially for data with a lower density of events. That is what I would recommend to TS, the original poster.
Steve

****CODE BEGINS  *****
// Split at failures
sysuse cancer, clear
gen id=_n
stset studytime, failure(died) id(id)
stsplit, at(failures)
orthpoly _t, gen(t*) degree(3)
streg t*, dist(exp)
predict hp1, hazard
label var hp1 "stsplit at failures"
scatter hp1 _t, saving(hp1, replace) nodraw

// Split at single months
sysuse cancer, clear
gen id=_n
stset studytime, failure(died) id(id)
stsplit single, at(1(1)39)
orthpoly _t, gen(t*) degree(3)
streg t*, dist(exp)
predict hp2, hazard
label var hp2 "split at single months-"
scatter hp2 _t, saving(hp2, replace) nodraw
graph combine hp1.gph hp2.gph, ycommon xcommon

**CODE ENDS*******

Steve