st: New package scenreg available on SSC

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: New package scenreg available on SSC
Date   Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:02:03 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks to Kit Baum a new package -scenreg- is now available on SSC.
-scenreg-, short for scenario regression, allows one to estimate
effects in a model for binary dependent variables given a scenario
concerning unobserved variables.

There is now quite a literature on the potential biassing influence
of these unobserved variables even when they are uncorrelated with
the observed variables. A recent example of that literature is an
article by our own Rich Williams (2009).  -scenreg- is intended to
give users an idea how big this potential problem is for their data
and their hypotheses and parameters of interest before they start
looking for a solution.

The user chooses a set of scenarios concerning this unobserved
variable, and -scenreg- will estimate the effects in each of these
scenarios. If the conclusions from each of these scenarios are
similar then that is an indication that unobserved heterogeneity is
not a big problem for your analysis.

On next Thursday (November 11th) I will give a talk at the Italian
Stata Users' Group meeting in Bologna, in which I will also discuss
this program.

To install -scenreg-, type in Stata -ssc install scenreg-.

-- Maarten

Williams, Richard (2009) "Using heterogenous choice models to compare
logit and probit coefficients across groups", Sociological Methods &
Research, 37(4): 531–559.

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen