st: Install user-written ado files in a non-web environment

From   "Jesper Lindhardsen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Install user-written ado files in a non-web environment
Date   Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:56:47 +0100

Hi Everyone,

I work with Stata/MP 11.1 on a server, which is not connected to the
internet for security reasons. The procedure I currently use to
"install" user written packages is to install the package (fx -somersd-)
into a dedicated folder in Stata on my local computer and then ask the
tech at the server hosting company to place the files in a folder
included in the adopath.
This works but is cumbersome especially with large pkg as -somersd-, and
furthermore it denies me the option of fx -ado describe- to check the
version as the packages are not installed as such in Stata.

What is the correct way to install in this setting? Can you download the
entire package and install (not just copy) the required files ?

Best regards,

Jesper Lindhardsen
MD, Ph.d.-student
Dept. of Cardiology
Gentofte University Hospital
Denmark

PS: I've searched statalist and read the following threads, but they do
not seem to answer my questions

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-01/msg01082.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-09/msg00612.html