Re: st: comparing two linear slopes

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: comparing two linear slopes
Date   Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:22:28 -0400

Ashwin, I have three comments:

1. It is unlikely that hospitalizations are independent events; therefore analyses based on the independence assumption will be faulty. Non-independence could arise, for example, from: repeated hospitalizations of the same person; seasonal variation; serial correlation; clustering of events in different departments and institutions.

2. Trends in the proportions of admissions for the two diseases are affected by trends in the numbers of admissions of other diseases.

3. Formally, comparison of trends in _numbers_ of admissions for the two diseases can be directly studied in a data set that excludes all other admissions.

Perhaps a multiple time-series analyses of the two types of admissions will address these issues. This is an area I haven't worked in, so I can't begin to recommend specific Stata commands.

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
[email protected]
18 Cantine's Island