Re: st: RE: Difficulties in variable calculation using panel data

From   Léon Bueckins <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Difficulties in variable calculation using panel data
Date   Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:36:03 +0200

Hi Degas,

thank you for fast response. I figured out the first two problems in the meantime myself. The return formula now computes the correct results but I will adjust it according to you suggestions regarding the missings thank you for that. For the second formula I now have a code that does exactly what I want but it is much to slow as it runs for each time point, and I have approx. 7,000. So is there anybody who might help me translate it into mata?

xtset group_id date, daily
gen return = 100 * (log(price) - log(L.price))

/*generate time index*/
bysort group_id : g trun =_n

/*number of groups*/
qui xtsum trun
local nT =r(Tbar)
local nGroups =r(n)

/*mean values of each group per t*/
g return_mt =.
forval t =1/`nT' {
qui xtsum return if trun ==`t'
replace return_mt =r(mean) if trun ==`t'
}

/*generate variable dev*/
bysort igroup : g dev =1/`nGroups' *(abs(return - return_mt))

/*drop not needed variables*/
drop trun return_mt

Regards