Re: st: Re: Making Cohorts

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Making Cohorts
Date   Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:18:42 +0100 (BST)

--- On Fri, 29/10/10, ajjee wrote:
> "Suppose that yit is a 0–1 variable indicating whether a
> household has access to a telephone or not, and that this
> indicator variable is a linear function of explanatory
> variables. We acknowledge this being an unusual assumption
> as in reality it is not possible for a 0–1 indicator to be a
> linear function of variables, since the linear function can
> take any value whereas the indicator is binary. However, the
> estimation procedure which we have adopted involves subsequent
> aggregation of the individual data. We removed yit to be
> linear in the explanatory variables in order for the
> aggregation to give a relation between the share of 1’s
> and the average of the explanatory variables."
> Thats why I wrote a linear function and asked for how to
> make a cohort data according to that.

The average of a dummy variable is a proportion, which is
still bounded between 0 and 1 (inclusive). So the averaging
does not solve the problem of boundedness of your dependent

If I understand you correctly, you go through this excercise
because you don't have real panel data. You can use -xtlogit-
or -xtmelogit- for your data. The higher level unit is than
country not individual, which seems to be what your technique
usuccessfuly tries to do as well.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie