st: Re: Nonlinear Panel Data

From   sazas <>
Subject   st: Re: Nonlinear Panel Data
Date   Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:42:48 -0700 (PDT)

jacobb wrote:
> Without more specific information about your model it is difficult to
> offer concrete advice.  From what I can gather you are trying to see the
> effect of the policy change on the behavior/actions of some entity (lets
> say they are schools).  So you have dummy variables for change in behavior
> (0,1) and dummy variables for pre- and post-policy change.  If no other
> variables vary over time in your model then a fixed effects model won't be
> appropriate.
> It might help if you can provide a little bit more information about your
> model.
The dependent variable is binary indicator 0 or 1 to capture behavior and l
have data available for the five waves. The list of my independent variables
(regressors) include a dummy (policy effect) that takes the value of one
post policy period
Yit = dit(policy effect) + Zit + residual       t = 1,.. 5 waves or time
periods, i= cross sectional unit in this case individuals

Yit is a binary indicator that represents behavior, for example do u own a
car? yes =1 or 0 otherwise, do you drink alcohol? yes =1 and 0 otherwise

dit is a dummy that captures the policy effect, it takes the value of zero
pre policy  & 1 post policy.

Zit is other explanatory variables