st: odbc driver problem

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: odbc driver problem
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:05:18 -0400

I am running Stata/MP 11.1 on a new 64-bit Windows 7 laptop. My
previous laptop had the same setup, but with less RAM. When I try to
load an Excel file, I now get:

. odbc list

Data Source Name                   Driver
dBASE Files                        Microsoft Access dBASE Driver (*.dbf, *.ndx
MS Access Database                 Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)
mihqdb04                           SQL Server
Excel                              Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xl
MIHQDB50                           SQL Server
mihqdd22                           SQL Server
mihqds03 DataSolutions             SQL Server
mihqds03 Analysis                  SQL Server
mihqds03 Economic Data             SQL Server

. odbc query "Excel"
The ODBC driver reported the following diagnostics
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an
architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

This used to work, but no longer does. I saw that someone had a
similar issue with Acesss files, but I swear this used to work before
with my old 64-bit laptop.

Is the only solution to this purchase a 32-bit version of Stata to
load Excel files?