RE: st: Interaction in logit

From   "Mustillo, Sarah A" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Interaction in logit
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:04:50 -0400

Hi Teemu -

My gut reaction (without knowing much about what you are doing), is to keep all of the interactions in the model together.  If you believe there are multiple interactions, not including any of them could lead to improper specification of your model. Also, if there is any overlap among the interactions, you'll miss that if you test them one at a time. I'm not sure if you can do this with -inteff- though, but I know you can do it with -margins-.

Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:42 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: Interaction in logit

Sarah and Maarten,

Thanks very much, these were great tips. Maarten is of course right in pointing out that I should have provided full references, apologies for any inconvenience. Here are the references in case someone follows this thread and needs them:

Jaccard, James (2001) Interaction effects in logistic regression, Sage.

Norton, Edward, Wang, Hua and Ai, Chunrong (2004) Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models. The Stata Journal 4 (2), 154-167.

I am wondering whether I could ask a follow-up question related to inteff (Norton et al. 2004) though?

Our model is, put simply, as follows:

y = a + x1 + x2 + x3 + z + x1z + x2z + x3z + c

where y is a binary response variable, a is the intercept, x1-x3 are continuous predictors, z is a binary variable that stands for two groups and c is a set of covariates.

Would it be appropriate to keep all interaction terms in the model at the same time, or would you recommend testing the interactions separately, i.e. keeping only one interaction term in the model when running inteff? Or would a completely different strategy be better for testing multiple group differences - something like a random coefficient model?

Many thanks again for your kind assistance, it is much appreciated.

Cheers

Teemu