Re: st: estat mfx after asclogit: does not work with numeric alternatives

From   Richard Gates <>
Subject   Re: st: estat mfx after asclogit: does not work with numeric alternatives
Date   Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:28:51 -0500

Lisa Pfeiffer <> is getting an error when running
-estat mfx- after -asclogit- when her alternatives are integer valued.
> I am using the alternative specific constant command (asclogit) with a
> dataset with a large number of alternatives that that are identified
> numerically. I would like to use estat mfx to obtain the marginal effects,
> but I get the error "1 invalid name". I have tried converting the numbers to
> strings, but I get the same error. If I convert the alternative names to
> letters, it works. Why can't estat mfx handle the string/numeric alternative
> labels, and/or is there something that can be done to fix it? Letter names
> are inconvenient because of the number of alternatives.
Lisa has found a bug in -estat mfx- and we will have this fixed on the next
Stata ado update.  Meanwhile, she will have to use a string variable or label
her numeric variable (see -help label-).  The strings or labels must contain
characters that would make legal names.

-Richard Gates