st: type 3 test for factor variable in regression context

From   hua gang <hg448@yahoo.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: type 3 test for factor variable in regression context
Date   Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:20:15 -0700 (PDT)

I am new to STATA, I notice STATA can automatically created dummy variables for
factor variable with more than 2 levels using, for example,  "i.religion," can
STATA test Omnibus (overall) effect of an factor variable like religion, akin to
type 3 test in SAS?

In case of random effects model:

xtmixed y x i.religion || id:, ml (how to get type 3 test result for race?)

Thank you very much,

Hua