AW: st: RE: Re: standardized betas in Prais-Winsten Regression

From   Schöler, Lisa <>
To   "" <>
Subject   AW: st: RE: Re: standardized betas in Prais-Winsten Regression
Date   Sat, 23 Oct 2010 09:39:43 +0000

it is not surprising that R2, F statistics etc. don't change. In my case the coefficients didn't change.
I guessI understood you advice wrong, I thought that
.center varlist
with SSC center would be the right thing to get the z-transformation.
Thanks again for your help.

Von: []&quot; im Auftrag von &quot;Christopher Baum []
Gesendet: Samstag, 23. Oktober 2010 01:42
Betreff: re: st: RE: Re: standardized betas in Prais-Winsten Regression

Lisa said

I centered all my variables and ran the Prais-Winsten Regression with the centered variables. The coefficients are the same for uncentered and centered variables. I think that this can't be true. Does anyone know why this problem occurs?

Actually if you want beta coefficients, you want to not only center them but z-transform them, that is, subtract the mean and divide by the sd. Subtracting constants from y and x doesn't change their correlation.

But z-transforming is a linear transformation, and regression of a lin.transf.(y) on a lin.transf.(x) doesn't change r^2. F, t-stats, etc. So why should this be surprising?

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |