Re: st: A test for variation in regression coefficients

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: A test for variation in regression coefficients
Date   Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:24:18 -0700

Dear Jeff

 I wonder if this example does the trick for you...

sysuse auto, clear
rename price y
rename headroom x1
rename trunk x2
rename weight x3
rename length x4
rename turn x5

regress y x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
test x1=x2
test x2=x3, accum
test x3=x4, accum
test x4=x5, accum

  So the final test yields...

 ( 1)  x1 - x2 = 0
 ( 2)  x2 - x3 = 0
 ( 3)  x3 - x4 = 0
 ( 4)  x4 - x5 = 0

       F(  4,    68) =    4.13
            Prob > F =    0.0047

Which is the test that B1 = B2 = B3 = B4 = B5, which has 4 df and in this case is significant.

Is that what you are looking for?

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html
A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/vgsg.html