RE: st: RE: overidentification test after treatreg

Subject   RE: st: RE: overidentification test after treatreg
Date   Fri, 22 Oct 2010 18:37:15 +0100

Xiang,

It tells you only what any overidentification test tells you, namely,
are the identifying restrictions supported by the data?

> The reason we can do a LR test is because of
> the nonlinearity of the selection process (probit).

True.  The probit selection equation means there's only one way to
specify a just-identified model.

> Think of
> a 2sls setting, we cannot do something like that since there
> has to be excluded instrument(s), otherwise it's
> unidentified.

Not so.  The standard Hansen-Sargan overid test is the same thing as a
GMM distance test between an overidentified model and a just-identified
model.  We're doing the same thing, transplanted to
treatreg/probit/LR-land.

> In treatreg, you can have no excluded
> instruments simply because it's nonlinear.  The only
> identification is through the normality assumption.  If your
> rationale holds, we should be able to do this LR test for any
> nonlinear model with endogenous regressors, as an
> overidentification test.

True!  But I'd be interested to know if others agree.

> Also, do you have any idea what went wrong with my gmm codes?

Sorry, I had only a quick look but couldn't work it out.

--Mark

> Thanks,
>
> Xiang
>
> On 10/22/2010 11:19 AM, Schaffer, Mark E wrote:
>
> > Xiang,

registered under charity number SC000278.