Re: st: RE: Adding normal density to overlayed histograms

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Adding normal density to overlayed histograms
Date   Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:30:15 +0100 (BST)

--- On Thu, 21/10/10, Nick Cox wrote:
> -5. If the normal is a reference, the comparison is of a
> curve with a set of bars, which is not the easiest
> comparison to get right. (Sometimes, the graph is a
> propaganda graph presented in the spirit "Look, it's roughly
> normal", when a more critical look would show important
> features, such as heavier tails or a mild outlier.)

I agree with Nick that quantile-quantile plots are a good
alterantive, especialy if you want to plot multiple variables
in one graph.

Another alternative graph that is specifically designed for
solving the 5th minus point of a histogram with an overlaid
normal curve is the hanging rootogram and suspended rootogram.
These are explained here:

These graphs can be drawn with the -hangroot- package which can
installed by typing in Stata -ssc install hangroot-.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen