Re: st: state trends

From   sara borelli <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: state trends
Date   Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:09:16 +0100 (BST)

Hi Marteen,

thank you very much for your reply; I apologyze for asking further.

I started by analyzing each state. So what hapens is the following

when using the orginal year variable I have that for each state there is a perfect correlation between
state dummy, trendstate, trandsquare_state  when these are constructed by using the orginal year variable

when I look at the correlation between the same variables constructed using the rescaled year variable then the correlation is very high but not perfect.

So this is why stata is dropping the state dummy in the first case.
However I do not understand why there is perfect correlation in the first case but not in the second. Sorry I know this may be a simple question but I am bit confused and I am trying to get this right

thanks
Sara