Re: st: xtmixed and complex survey data

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: xtmixed and complex survey data
Date   Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:47:07 -0500

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Christian Villenas
<> wrote:
> I realize that the xtmixed commands does not yet allow for sampling
> weights and svy commands, however, I was wondering whether anyone out
> there has come up with any creative or crude ways to work with complex
> survey data using xtmixed (free of using -gllamm-)?

With an EXTREME stretch, you can utilize the methodology of inverse
sampling (in which you take subsamples of the existing data that have
the exact SRS properties; see a review paper in Survey Methodology
around 2007 or 2008), but in all likelihood you will be able to run
your model in -gllamm- at least 20 times before you'd have the first
working prototype.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at