st: replacing asterisks in a string

From   "Lim, Raymond" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: replacing asterisks in a string
Date   Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:30:17 -0400

Hello Statalisters,
How does one flag a string containing an asterisk, which in Stata is a wildcard? I want to flag the observations with an asterisk and then delete the asterisk. This is what I would do to flag/delete a parenthesis.

replace flag_parenthesis=1 if strmatch(varname, "*)")
replace varname=subinstr(varname,")","",.)