st: RE: re: 3sls and fixed effects

From   "Biljana Dlab" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: re: 3sls and fixed effects
Date   Sat, 16 Oct 2010 23:09:12 +0200

Thank you very much Kit.

Wish you nice evening.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Christopher
Sent: 16 October 2010 21:51
Subject: st: re: 3sls and fixed effects

Biljana said

The size is following:

Number of unique values of gvkey_n is  615
Number of records is  6492

I have totally 6492 firm-year observations.

The time period is 30 years (fyears)

That gives me matrix of:

2*((G-1) + (T-1))

Is that too large?

I believe it is. You must be running Stata 10.x, as you can't use factor
variables. In Stata 11, -help limits- does not say anything about the
number of variables in an estimation command. I could swear that there
was such a limit in Stata 10 and previous-- I think it was 800. It is
not in the hardcopy manual for Stata 10 (nor 11), and I do not have
access to Stata 10 at present. See what -help limits- on your version 10
system says.

But in any case if you have 615 firm dummies, I suggest you follow my
prior advice and center all of the variables you want to include in the
analysis by firm. Then you don't have to include i.gvkey_n. You can
still include the time dummies, as there are only 30 of them. Centering
both y and the other X variables manually will have the same effect as
including a full set of firm dummies, and should get around the problem
you're encountering.

                              An Introduction to Stata Programming  |