Re: st: gllamm and mim output for multi-level model

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: gllamm and mim output for multi-level model
Date   Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:12:00 -0500

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Christian Villenas
<> wrote:
> I am working on a project that uses both gllamm and mim commands. When
> running my models, I notice that the level 1 and 2
> variance/covariances, as well as random effects are missing from the
> output. Instead I get coefficients for the level 2 identifier and
> random effects. What do those coefficients mean, and can I use them to
> obtain the variance/covariance as per the gllamm output without the
> mim command?

You'd need to learn the internal parametrization used by -gllamm-.
Level 2 is parametrized via Cholesky decomposition, so the variances
and covariances are not directly available.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at