st:revise variables labels for a group of variables

From   Amanda Fu <>
Subject   st:revise variables labels for a group of variables
Date   Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:08:45 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

I was wondering if someone could give me some help with the variable labels.

I am recoding a group of variables (more than 10) by creating new
variables with the revised scales and keeping the original variables
as well. For the variable labels of the new variables, I would like to
define them as "original variable's labels + recoded".
What I have not figured out is how to import the original variable
labels and add "revised".

One way is to clone the new variable (--clonevar--)and then add a word
"revised" to the new labels. But I am stuck with how to change the
variable labels for a variable list together.

The following is an example of the two variables I would like to revise:

original variable  name:   educ
original variable label:     education level
recoded variable name:  educ_r
revised variable label:     education level revised

original variable  name:    mar
original variable label:      marital status
recoded variable name:   mar_r
revised variable label:      marital status revised

Thanks for your help!