RE: st: histogram

From   Schöler, Lisa <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: histogram
Date   Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:17:35 +0000

Thank you

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten buis
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:14 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: histogram

--- On Thu, 14/10/10, Schöler, Lisa wrote:
> Now I need to get a histogram that uses only one
> observation for each id for the mean(brand). Therefore I
> wanted to include a dummy=1, so I can use the command
>
> . histogram if dummy==1
>
> Can anybody help me how I can create a dummy=1 only for one
> observation per id? I was gonna use
>
> . by id: gen dup = cond(_N==1,0,_n)
>
> and then
>
> . histogram if dup==1
>
> But the problem here is that I have missings within my id
> groups, so sometimes my dup per id starts with 2.

If you create your mean variable using -egen- then you won't
get missing values, thus preventing the entire problem.

Alternatively, you can ask Stata to sort within each id on
mean, and pick the first observation. A missing value is in
Stata a very large number, so they will in that case be the
last observation.

*------------- begin example --------------
drop _all
input id   brand  year
       1   7      1999
       1   5      2000
       1   3      2001
       1   5      2002
       1   .      2003
       2   .      1999
       2   7      2000
       2   8      2001
       2   5      2002
       2   4      2003
       3   .      1999
       3   7      2000
       3   8      2001
       3   5      2002
       3   4      2003
 end
egen mean = mean(brand), by(id)
list
// no missing values, so that solves the problem

// lets create a missing value, and solve your
// problem than:
replace mean = . in 1
bys id (mean) : gen byte mark = _n == 1 if _N > 1
list
*------------------ end example ------------------

Hope this helps,
Maarten