Re: st: margins at every observation

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: margins at every observation
Date   Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:01:09 +0100 (BST)

--- On Tue, 12/10/10, Thomas wrote:
> I want to calculate the marginal effects for all
> observations:
> sysuse auto, clear
> reg price c.mpg##c.mpg
> gen dydx = _b[mpg]+2*_b[ c.mpg#c.mpg]*mpg
> I thought I would get the same using:
> margins, dydx(mpg) at((asobserved) mpg)
> but I only get a single value at the mean of mpg.
> How can I get the marginal effect at each observation from
> -margins- (if at all)?

That marginal effect only depends on the value of mpg, so
you can get a complete list of all marginal effects by typing:

margins, dydx(mpg) over(mpg)

There is no -generate- or -replace- option in -margins, so there
is no easy way to turn this into a variable (it is possible, but
your manual computations are just easier).

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen