RE: st: xtmixed with option residuals

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: xtmixed with option residuals
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:34:38 +0100

It looks as if you are trying to fit a model not suited to your data. So, try something simpler or try to find out if some feature of your data is the problem.

Schöler, Lisa

Thank you very much for your answer. I tried it and I got another error

standard-error calculation failed
convergence not achieved

Roberto G. Gutierrez

Lisa Schoeler <[email protected]> asks:

> .xtmixed q0 number_brands market_share intensity satisfaction channels
> margin sga0 rd0 cogs0 lppe0 income0 lassets0 leverage0 ||SIC_twodigits:
> number_brands market_share intensity satisfaction channels margin, mle
> residuals(ar 1, by(id) t(year))

> And I get the following error:

> option residuals(): by variable is not constant within lowest-level panels
> r(459);

> I don't understand why I get this error. I have a dataset that includes 9
> yearly observations for different companies(unique id for each company) that
> are in different SICs.  Can anyone tell me where my problem is?

My guess is that Lisa wants an autoregressive structure within the groups
defined by variable -id-, summarized by one AR parameter.  If this is the
case, then instead of specifying the residual structure "by(id)", Lisa should
define a new (empty) lowest level on the -id- variable:

  xtmixed q0 number_brands market_share intensity satisfaction     ///
          channels margin sga0 rd0 cogs0 lppe0 income0 lassets0    ///
          leverage0 || SIC_twodigits: number_brands market_share   ///
          intensity satisfaction channels margin || id:, nocons    ///
          mle residuals(ar 1, t(year))

When you use -by()- within -residuals()-, you are estimating a set of
parameters for each group of the by variable, which is probably not what Lisa
wants.