Re: st: Truncated at zero count data with underdispersion

Subject   Re: st: Truncated at zero count data with underdispersion
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:36:42 -0400

"> Does anyone know any stata command that i could use to model zero
> truncated count data with underdispersion?"

There are too possibilities:
1) Your model is inadequate
or
2) The Poisson distribution doesn't fit your data-my best guess.

If the Poisson model doesn't fit, use -mlogit- or -ologit-,  with
categories being the numbers of cell phones.  You might have to
combine sparse categories.  Since your goal is prediction in an
external data set,  split the study data set into two parts; develop
the model on one part, and assess the predictive accuracy of the model
on the second.  (There are probably also -jackknife- or -boostrap-
possibilities for getting cross-validated "honest" assessments of
accuracy.)

Here's an example of assessing predictive accuracy from -mlogit-. The
predicted category is that with the highest probability, and
predictive criterion is the difference between observed and predicted
category and its root MSE.

***********CODE BEGINS*************
sysuse auto, clear
recode rep78 1/2 = 2