st: xtlogit, margins & xtrho

From   mmamiti <>
Subject   st: xtlogit, margins & xtrho
Date   Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:07:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,

I am running xtlogit models and in some cases I have noticed that there is a
large discrepancy between the predictive margins obtained from -margins,
predict(pu0)- and the marginal probability obtained from -xtrho- (with the
-xtrho- estimate being much closer to the actual probabilities).  I
understand that -margins, pred(pu0)- sets the random intercept at 0 (the
mean), while -xtrho- includes sigma_u in its computations.  My question is,
what does this discrepancy suggest?  Maybe are the random effects not
normally distributed?  Is there a way to diagnose the normality of random
effects?  Does this mean I shouldn't use this  model?

Thank you,

Mary E. Mackesy-Amiti