st: RE: RE: joinby command and memory issues

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: joinby command and memory issues
Date   Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:35:14 +0100

This is unclear to me:

1. What does "try to drop" mean? Did -drop- work? If not, what error messages did you get? Or why say "try"?

2. This description doesn't seem to match your earlier one just a few minutes ago. Here epo.dta has 2 variables. A few minutes ago it included other variables you didn't want and wanted to know how to ignore.

I don't think people can easily give good advice if the precise problem is not clear.

As in an earlier thread today, the limits of Stata are given by -help limits-. Almost always, the memory available on your machine is what really bites.

Weichle, Thomas

I did try to drop the other variables from the epo.dta dataset before
attempting the join.  However, the memory issue remains.  I'm basically
trying to join a 3 variable dataset (hgb.dta) of 7,438,632 records and
255,317 unique ids with a 2 variable dataset (epo.dta) of 406,400
records and 36,381 unique ids.  Maybe this is beyond the capabilities of
Stata.  Any other suggestions would be welcome.  would doing a
many-to-many merge result in the same dataset (all pairwise